Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good Idea, Bad Idea? Sparkling Kefir

This is my second glass of sparkling orange mineral water and kefir. "Of WHAT?!?"

Glad you asked.

Kefir is a healthful, yogurt sort-of beverage made from fermented milk. It's full of probiotics, protein, pro-whathaveyou. My husband doesn't drink it, but I grew up with it and I love the stuff. I prefer when it's of a good quality, and was packaged with a fruity sweetener in it.

"Sparkling orange mineral water" is store-brand carbonated water (soda water?) with a barely-detectable orange flavoring in it. Soda water seems to be a phase that I'm going through. Mostly, I've been mixing it with orange juice, and I've been very pleased with the results.

Today, I've been mixing it with kefir.

I have a bit of a head cold today, and my senses of smell and taste are dulled enough that I honestly can't really tell if what I'm drinking is any good. I can tell you that it's probably healthy? Fizzy sweet dairy reminds me of the Italian sodas that I used to get at espresso stands as a kid. But what does it ACTUALLY taste like? I don't know.

I know that right now I must like it, because I just fixed myself a second glass. I didn't have to do that. There's no one watching. I also know that I want to try adding sugar to it to see if I like it even better. I also know that I want to take a nap.

Photos have been omitted, as a courtesy, because it really doesn't look especially pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment