Friday, June 23, 2017

Milestone: I Ate More Kimchi Than I Could Handle

Today (well, June 22, 2017, although it's past midnight) goes down in my personal history as the day I over-ate these amazing kimchi pancakes with my friend Paula at a cool Korean restaurant in Lynnwood, Washington. I was then surprised to discover that despite my gusto, my body was not ready to digest so much fermented cabbage in one sitting. (I also ate a great deal of bulgogi and a delicious fried fish.) It was not literally my first time tasting kimchi, but it was my first time eating a ton of it in one go. I overestimated my abilities.



It's about time I get back to writing in this blog, so instead of just making this a private Facebook post, I'm making it a blog post. I'll then share a link to it on my private Facebook page, in the hope that it will pop up in my memories every year around this time, to remind me of what has been a life-altering learning experience. I was bested in the art I thought I'd mastered: eating delicious things in a casual setting with friends.


I still want more kimchi pancakes, but I might need to drink an Oreo milkshake first (for some reason, that's what my gut bacteria is perfectly calibrated to), and then eat smaller portions of the pancakes next time, so my all-dairy-all-the-time tummy can figure out how to eat healthy, fermented, probiotic, spiced plants.


Here is the fish I ate, after I ate most of it:




1 comment:

  1. I can eat infinite kimchi in the evening, but I tried it at breakfast once and had heartburn for forever.... (also, try seafood pancakes too, similar but I like them even better!)

    ReplyDelete