Monday, January 24, 2011

Happy Welch Rarebit Day!

Somewhere between exercise and brunch this morning, I checked Facebook and was delighted to learn from the British Cheese Board (of COURSE I follow them on Facebook) that today is National (in the UK at least) Welch Rarebit Day!

Lacking the ingredients to make the recipe they provided, I decided to experiment a little. This wonderful brunch is what I came up with:





I sliced the heel of a baguette so that the bottom of a little baking dish was lined with bread.

I mixed about 2-3 heaping tablespoons of neufchâtel cheese with a drizzle (about 1/2 tsp) of A1 steak sauce with a smaller drizzle (about 1/3 tsp) of spicy brown mustard. When combined, this mixture had the approximate color of French vanilla ice cream.

After spreading the seasoned neufchâtel on the bread, I sprinkled a layer of shredded, sharp cheddar on top and broiled the whole thing until the cheese had melted and just started to evenly bubble and brown.

The result is fluffy, creamy and toasty with a slight crunch on the outside. The texture reminds me a little of roasted marshmallows.

When preparing this again, I will need to shift the neufchâtel to sharp cheddar ratio a little, in favor of more cheddar and less neufchâtel. I could stand to have more greasy crunch next time.

But all-in-all, I am satisfied. This was a wonderful Blue Monday brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment