Friday, February 25, 2011

Punk Rock Comfort Food

Practically everybody I know has their own different definition for what punk rock is, and there are frequent disagreements over the details when the subject comes up.

However, this is my blog, and I will write from my perspective. To me, punk must be vulgar. It must be, or appear to be, remedial. Not necessarily due to a lack of advanced ability, but due to an ethic that a sloppy half-effort is a liberating and equalizing effort. Punk also ought to set the stage for creating social links to other oddballs--a sort of mixed-up social slurry, a strange cultural catch-all for misfits. A supportive punk family/tribe/scene/whatever can make an essential lifeline in times of crisis, something that I have gratefully experienced firsthand.

Beyond this sociological understanding, there are also specifics regarding the punk rock art movement in its different stages over the last 40 years. These deserve thorough analysis at another time, in something other than a food blog.

Anyway.

I finally watched the movie Repo Man for the first time today.

I decided to eat a big meal while watching the movie, to help prepare my body for my scheduled blood donation this afternoon. Because of the movie, I was feeling proud of how playful, rebellious and vulgar I naturally am. I wanted to revel in my own not-giving-a-damn-about-the-rules-ness in a tangible and appropriately disgusting way. So this is what I did:







I hacked off part of a raw cabbage, covered it in shredded cheese and microwaved it for two minutes. It tasted like bad ideas and freedom.

I will definitely do this again, but with more cabbage and less cheese next time, so I don't clog my blood recipient's arteries too badly.*

Salut! To your health! Happy eating! Bon voyage!


*An interesting side note for those who may be curious: I was rejected by the blood bank for having a head cold today. I will try again next week. I hear that donating blood is a great way to get really, really drowsy, and while I already love naps and I sleep ok at night, I haven't had a proper knocked-right-out, serious sleep in a while. Maybe I'll be up to it next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment