Sunday, June 12, 2011

Toad-in-the-Hole, Girl Scout Eggs, etc...

Making breakfast for myself while my husband sleeps in means that I can have whatever I want, without collaborating along the lines of what he's in the mood to cook or eat.

Today, right at this very moment in time, I am having one of my favorites: Toad-in-the-Hole, aka Girl Scout Eggs.




Step 1: Cut a hole in the bread.

Step 2: Fry an egg in the bread.

Step 3: Make her open the bread. And that's the way you do it.

Wait, what?

Back to topic.

Normally, I butter the bread a little before pan-frying, but today I just used a lot of olive oil. A LOT of olive oil. It is oilier than a donut. It's crunchy and greasy and very heavy. I am so full, guys, omg.

This is good because, on occasion, I love a seriously greasy breakfast and olive oil is one of the better greases for serious ingestion.

This is also good because I want to feel as full and sated as possible without actually preparing very much food, because I want to postpone my next trip to the grocery store for as long as I can.

One egg and one slice of bread (170 calories together, ungreased) are magically transformed into a huge meal by frying 'em up in olive oil (120 calories per tablespoon, and my bread absorbed somewhere between two and four tablespoons--I drizzled generously without measuring).

410 to 650 reasonably health-like calories for under $0.25, and I feel so fed that my next meal can just be lightly salted vegetables boiled in a nice broth for all I care.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment