Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cornbread-Roasted (Almost Chicken-Fried?) Tofu

This was the best idea ever. I know I say that a lot, but I really mean it this time. This was the Best. Idea. Ever.

I was roasting a sweet potato, obviously (like people do), and I was like, "Hey, you know what? I could roast more than one thing! This is a pretty big oven!"

So I got out a little baking dish, made a runny paste of canola oil and white flour in the bottom (about 1/5" deep), arranged slices of extra firm tofu in it, sprinkled cornbread and Penzey's Ozark Seasoning (dude) on top, and just threw it on another rack while the sweet potato did its thing. Probably at 425F for an hour.

I took the tofu out when it was as browned an awesome as it is in the photo, and after it had cooled enough to eat, I ate it faster than I could actually photograph it. But there's still enough left in the picture that you should "get the picture."

I could stand to swap out cheese for something that's reminiscent of cheese, at least some of the time, to help slow down my consumption of animal fats a little. Cholesterol, whaaat? (Ugh.) But I still require oily, squishy foods that are high in protein. This one raises the stakes by being quasi-breaded in cornmeal, and by being as oily as a roux that substituted liquid for extra oil. Oh, heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment