Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Georgian's Three Course Dinner

Thanks to one of the best LivingSocial deals in the Seattle area EVER, I had the pleasure of taking two out-of-town friends out to dinner in the posh Georgian this Wednesday, despite my being a poor person.

If I'd known at the time that I was to become a food blogger three days later, I would have taken more photos. But because I am a food geek, I did take a couple:

*I used the flash because the lighting in the restaurant was pleasantly low. Unfortunately, the photos do not do the food proper justice. Please use your imagination to picture the food more attractively, and more accurately, in your mind than I picture it on this page.*

The mesclun green salad, served with a white balsamic vinaigrette, vegetable chips and shaved parmesan cheese. I believe that the vegetable chips on top were paper-thin slices of heirloom tomatoes that had been dried. The flavor was similar to apple chips and complimented the vinaigrette. I was very happy.

Seared scallops, melted young leeks and truffle slices served over crisp potatoes in a housemade bacon butter sauce. It was the sort of buttery, heavy, lovely meal best nibbled over hours of conversation. I am in love with the leeks.

Not pictured, but deserving endorsement:

The Georgian black and white chocolate soufflé, served with crème anglaise. 

Rich and satisfying, crunchy and soft, this soufflé was so wonderful that despite my normally severe little budget (too severe for a full meal), I intend to return to this restaurant for many small celebrations, solely to order the dessert.

Not pictured, but worth mention:

An amuse bouche of duck foie gras was served between the salad and main course. It was not on the menu, and was not anticipated when I ordered my meal. Foie gras, like veal, is one of the meats that I would not order for myself, for moral reasons I'm more inclined to examine in The Beatific Gonzette than I am here. (I did ask the waiter later for clarification about whether the sacrificial ducks were force-fed or simply allowed the opportunity to voluntarily gorge themselves into illness--a common problem with all species when access to food is limitless--and was told that the ducks were force-fed twice daily in the traditional way. Ouch.)

Still, not being one to turn down a gift, I ate the amuse bouche in the spirit of cross-cultural respect and curiosity. It was, for better or worse, delicious. Not necessarily worth all the suffering in the world, but I can see why the flavor is a popular one.

Being unpious but not without remorse, I doubt that I will ever specifically order or request foie gras, but I have learned that if I am presented with it by surprise under the right conditions, I will most likely eat it. (Still, the next time I find myself in a classically French restaurant, I intend to inquire politely whether a vegetarian amuse bouche is available. Although I'm not vegetarian, I am a fan of plants, and have a craving for the "opposite of foie gras" now.)

Before I wrap up this blog entry, I do want to comment on the customer service and ambiance. My friends and I ended up changing our reservation three times in 24 hours, we arrived eccentrically under-dressed and we requested a specific table instead of just taking the table we were initially shown to. In spite of this, absolutely every single member of The Georgian's staff maintained such outward graciousness that I am left with the impression that the people who work there are genuinely kindhearted, friendly human beings. Either that, or they're skilled actors. Or both? Perhaps both. Whatever the case, I was very happy with the service.

The interior design of the place was extremely pleasing, too! I remember a high ceiling, I remember tall windows, I remember potted palm plants in elevated positions throughout the dining room, I remember orchids. I commented to a friend that I felt like I was in an episode of Jeeves and Wooster. I was given a refreshing sensation similar to time travel. If I were wealthy, I would frequent the place for the ambiance almost as much as for the food.

What I learned from this experience:

1. Leeks are brilliant.
2. Chocolate soufflé is double-brilliant.
3. I should buy a time machine.
4. If I have to change my reservation multiple times, Wednesday night seems like a good night of the week to do so.
5. The Georgian is worth it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment