Thursday, May 2, 2013

Are Pills Food? Because This Pillbox is TASTY!!!

Even though vitamins are FULL of vitamins, it might be a little bit of a stretch to review a pillbox in a food blog. But this blog is flippant, I am flippant, and goddammit if I don't eat my medicinals like a health fiend. Because that's what adults do.

So!

If you're like me, then you love tidy little containers, and you hate trying to remember what you just did.

Fear not! This sweet little number has different compartments for the days of the week, and one extra compartment for whatever. Because it is a pill box! So, when using it, you just need to remember what day of the week it is, and once you have that sorted out, you can tell whether or not you have already eaten the contents of today's compartment. It's like an advent calendar, except... Well... Except for so many things, technically speaking, if we're really going to go there. Unless you stuff it with chocolate? But anyway.

This pill box is ALSO the customized product of an unspeakably cool Etsy shop, stellarcustomimages. I cannot endorse this shop enough:

1. I love supporting Etsy shops!!! And the proprietor/artisan's customer service was ultra-friendly, and impressively fast. I wish that every Etsy shop could be so pleasantly and professionally run.

2. I love practical items that don't break when I tote them around clumsily. I'm on my second pair of earbuds this season, and looking for a third, but this pillbox is still reliable and a pleasure to look at. Really, if I haven't broken it by now, then it has earned its place among the legends. (The original Gameboy being another legend of "stuff I didn't break." This thing is, like, GAMEBOY sturdy.)

3. The graphic itself is really ON THERE. I don't think that I could remove it if I wanted to. Not that I've intended to try, but things happen, and even some curious prodding did no damage. The graphic is also well-placed, and shows no signs of the asymmetry and "quirkily homemade" flaws that are often present in one-artist productions. This is a genuinely nicer product than the fancypants pillboxes that I see in pharmacies.

4. The picture on the lid is totally up to the customer to decide.

No, really. Really. No, really. Really! It really is. It really, really is. Just let that soak in. That's freedom, baby. The flavor of freedom. Tastes unfamiliar, doesn't it? Well, just take it slow, ease into it, so that you don't get a brain freeze. It's almost too much freedom, but if you keep a cautious mind and a bold heart, you'll be well on your way toward making the right decision.

For mine, I chose a gorgeously ethereal, cloudy, blue phone photograph that I took several months ago.

At the time of its creation, I was trying to take a photograph of my cat Leonard, when my phone's camera flash started to go off. Thinking only of the convenience of my darling little animal, I tucked the camera into my right armpit, to muffle the flash of light. But when I retrieved it, something magical had happened! My navy blue sweater and the camera flash had inadvertently birthed a lovely series of increasingly pale blue circles. (Sweaters are RAD, eh?)

After having a very, very serious laugh about this, I decided to use the image in a number of aesthetically-inclined settings. The picture really turned out inappropriately attractive, given its origins.

So, when the opportunity to make it the "cover" of a go-to pillbox presented itself, I simply couldn't resist.

This pillbox is one of my all-time favorite objects, and I dare you to get one of your own, with your own favorite picture on it.

Like, I extra, extra dare you, really.

...

...

Because I love this thing!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment