Wednesday, January 8, 2014

French Onion Soup...For BREAKFAST?!?!

That's right!

This meal incorporates my own two personal food groups: cheese, and things to put cheese on. 

Plus, the bonus food group: bread things.

I made a big pot of onion soup yesterday, and prepared a little reserve of thick-sliced Tilamook medium cheddar for easy soup assembly later on.

To make the soup, I minced 1.5 yellow onions and sautéed them in maybe 2-3tbs of canola oil on lowish heat for a very long time, stirring frequently, until mushy and a little browned. 

I then added a bottle of Session lager, half of a can of Rainer beer, and about four cups of the leftover cooking water from a pot roast. 

I then used a bunch of stuff to adjust the flavor of the soup. I threw in a tiny amount of curry, a little basalmic vinegar, a fair amount of Worcestershire sauce, some of this mystery seasoning stuff with a vague label that tastes like it's probably soy sauce and MSG, some salt, and a lot of dried thyme, because it's my favorite herb in this soup. I considered hot sauce but changed my mind. (The beef broth already had hot sauce and yellow mustard in it, among other things.)

I let the whole thing simmer, stirring pretty frequently, until the beers in it stopped fizzing and the soup really looked like a proper soup.

The soup spent the night covered, in the fridge, letting the flavors "marry." 

Then in the morning? Because I like dinner for breakfast just as much as I like breakfast for dinner? I heated up a mug of soup in the microwave while toasting 1/4 of two conjoined hot dog buns in the toaster oven, before melting the cheese onto the hot dog buns. 

I put the cheese bread on top of the soup, getting the cheese bread totally damp, while simultaneously infusing the soup with essential cheeses and breads, and presto! I have an economically constructed, greasy-yet-lowish-calorie meal to help me get my body back to normal after winter holiday eating, without having to compromise my need (need) to mostly eat melted cheese, nutritionists be disregarded.



Bla-dow.

1 comment:

  1. I have recently learned that soup for breakfast it totally yummy. I had acorn squash soup with chicken. :D

    ReplyDelete