Monday, February 3, 2014

The Waffle Ratio--When toppings outlive their host

The waffles are almost gone. The raspberry jam (homemade by somebody else, thankyouverymuch) is still plentiful on the plate, and the whipped cream is, as always, nearly bottomless. (I like the sound that the whipped cream can makes. Shut up. No, you shut up!)



I am faced with a decision.

An old decision.

An ancient decision.

I am alone at the moment. By myself. In isolation. My husband is at work, we have no guests over, and my cats are sitting two feet away, feigning disinterest in my food. Nobody can witness my actions firsthand.

I must ask myself this:

Decorum or practicality?
Reality or illusion? 

Is it a better thing to make another waffle, so that these toppings will appear "dressed" when I eat them? Or should I throw propriety to the wind and make a scientific decision about the calories that a third waffle would, quite literally, bring to  the table? I certainly don't mind eating whipped cream and jam by themselves. Scraping my plate into the garbage is completely out of the question. As I said before, this jam is homemade.

High heels or comfortable flats?!?
Sports car or low-mileage, slow-acceleration...uh...car?!? (I totally forgot the slang for that.)
Space helmet or tiara...in space?!?

Update:

I ate the whipped cream and jam while typing this blog entry on my phone, before I even could have taken the time to get up and walk to the kitchen. Science wins!!!

Double Update:
Either waffles gave me a sore throat, which is impossible(?), or I've caught something and need to get extra sleep tonight. Or extra sleep right now, while I'm avoiding my graduate school homework. Or extra sleep tonight. Or right now. Or tonight. Aaargh, you see what I mean?!? Decision-making is such a grueling and punishing process sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment