Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tortillas: Eggcellent Save!

Oh man, what a morning for breakfasts.

After looking at a lot of recorded footage of myself for Communication & Counseling Skills class (therapist training), I realized that I need to focus on nutrient-dense foods for a while. I've been living on ice cream, as y'do sometimes, y'know, and my face from side profile looked undernourished, yet overfed, and overall just not what my face had planned for itself. The world is not kind to people who look like women, yet eat like sitcom bachelors. So I microwave myself a big bowl of frozen blueberries, pour a little milk on those berries, peel myself an orange, and fry myself a couple of eggs. (Protein, fiber, and vegetarian fat are my best friends when I need to cut back on processed sweets. Going to use public transit to school, too, to force myself to walk a few miles.)

Unfortunately, my breakfast plans faltered when the eggs overcooked juuuuust enough to solidify the yolks. Oh no! And when I went to season them, the "shaker" opening on the tin of Old Bay seasoning dumped out a heaping teaspoon of ground spices all over those eggs in one big, confusing lump. Like, how did that even happen?!? But it DID happen, is what I'm saying. So, I dusted off the powder as best I could with a paper towel (not very well) and used my little fork to flinchingly lift one tiny, little, cynical test bite out of a hard-cooked yolk before throwing them out. 

The eggs...were not bad. Surprisingly. Not good, either, but not bad enough to throw out. Just overseasoned and disappointing. (I'm too cheap to toss out viable foods.)

This is when I realized that I needed to put the eggs into one or more tortillas, to balance out the flavors. Virtually everything tastes better in a tortilla, because tortillas are from heaven.

We have corn tortillas in my kitchen right now, which I PERSONALLY think should only be eaten after they've been cooked. So I pan-fried two tortillas in the same skillet in which I'd cooked the eggs, put an overcooked, over-spiced egg in each tortilla, and gave myself some smug self-congratulation while eating breakfast like a Breakfast Champ (TM).*



CHAMPION

* I just made up "Breakfast Champ (TM)" right now. Pretty clever, if I ask me. Pretty damn clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment