Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pie updates: Cheater, cheater, cheater

1. I forgot to mention this, but I used a garlic crusher to put crushed garlic in the beef pie filling.

2. I forgot to mention this, but while the pie filling was entirely just me doing my thing freehand, and the crust was store bought, the cooking time, temperature, and pie shapes were lifted from this:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/miniature-meat-pies

Mine were best after 10-12 minutes, instead of 12-16, though.

3. Dammit. I am eating the pies. I am eating three little pies for lunch. I are chocolate mousse with whipped cream for breakfast, and I am eating meat pies for lunch.

I started with the littlest one, in the name of scientific exploration. They're still good cold, even though I'm typically very picky about cold food. The rosemary is strong, but it has lots of "friends" to keep it balanced. (Friends like mustard, onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, peas, whatever.)

Seriously. I feel guilty about contributing to the rate at which my household goes through meat. I'm a little haunted by the memory of Thich Nhat Hanh's writings about ethical eating, and I feel like I've failed to live up to the examples set by André "3000" Benjamin and Kirk "I wrote about him last time, too" Hammett. I mean, I've obviously failed to live up to their musical legacies, but also their puported culinary legacies.

For what it's worth, once our grocery budget has refreshed, I'm going to buy vegetarian "meat" crumbles, and more pie crust, and I'm doing this thing right.

In the meantime, here are some justifications:

1. I need to better understand my handiwork. For example, I learned that the 12-minute pies weren't overcooked, and they were actually a little tastier than the 10-minute pies.

2. I did make the things, after all, and from scratch. That has to count for something.

3. Wrapping them in plastic to freeze them would require using disposable plastic wrap, and trying to freeze them without being wrappe up that tightly would destroy them, wasting food.

4. I do want to retain the ability to digest meat, and anecdotes I've encountered when socializing with long-term vegetarians describe having digestive upsets after eating meat, because their bodies have maybe lost the intestinal healthy bacteria needed to metabolize it, I guess? I'm not going to look it up, though. YOU look it up. Find out for yourself. Use PubMed or NIH. Don't use magazine-style blogs or actual magazines. Science says no.

But today, Appetite said "yes." 

For shame, for shame.

5. Seriously, just look at this. I can't condemn myself for the moral slip. If I'm going to cheat my beliefs periodically, as human beings are known to do, this is the kind of situation in which to do it:


It tastes even better than it looks.

Here is a photo of some milk! Because the pie goes well with milk, and if I'm taking pictures, I might as well just keep going.


THERE'S A PAPER LANTERN REFLECTED IN THE MILK!!! ISN'T THAT WEIRD TO SEE IN A PHOTOGRAPH?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment