Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lime Oatmeal: The Saga of an Empty Kitchen

Right, so you already know from before that I ran out of bread this week, and instead of buying more bread, I made a frittata. Today, I continued to improvise with whatever I have on hand, and ended up making fresh lime oatmeal. And I'll tell you why.

If you're anything like me, then you ALSO blew pretty much the entire grocery budget on beer last Sunday. An understandable choice, given that it's July, and Seattle is a beer playground full of beers for evbeeryone.

And if you're like me, then you started to panic about malnutrition just a couple of days AFTER that. Especially once your husband brought the whole box of raisins to work with him, along with half of the raw oatmeal. Hey! raisins are fruit! And, while panicked about malnutrition, you decided that the only way to win at life was to eat the only fresh fruit left in the house--limes.

(Of course, if you're EXACTLY me, then you're revisiting the great existential angst known as "I could make the best Stockholm Syndrome joke, if I was a background character in Battlestar Galactica, except that there IS no Stockholm to name that disorder after." And it breaks my sketchy heart.)

Before work today, I cut a deep spiral into a clean, washed lime, and I squished that bastard over my oatmeal, hardcore. I put the remaining fruit spiral in my water glass and brought it to work with me, because I'M NOT GETTING SCURVY ON YOUR WATCH, YOU SMELLY BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Um.

The oatmeal itself I made using old-fashioned oats, by pouring water over them, letting them soak for 10 minutes, and then microwaving them for 2 minutes, for heat. I didn't make this part up, I swear. It's totally a thing to do.

Then I added the lime--so much lime, like big chunks of it--and some salt (hot damn, never let oatmeal go unsalted), some butter, and some milk, and a lot of honey.

While I'd braced myself for a horrible experience, it was actually refreshing, delicious, and even tasted seasonally appropriate.

Even though my first go of doing this was just a cynical act of being too lazy to get blueberries out of the freezer, yet too afraid of malnutrition to just season my oatmeal with a Snickers(TM) bar, I will probably do this a few more times this week. At least until we run out of limes, right?!?!? Then, it's beer-flavored oatmeal until payday.

Here's a photograph:


No comments:

Post a Comment