Monday, July 22, 2013

No, seriously. Pork rinds.

So my sister was all, "Just trust me dude, pork rinds are like if potato chips were really puffy and made out of bacon."

And she was right.

Ingredients: fried pork rinds, salt.

They taste more like caramelized fat than they do like smoked meat--likely because they ARE caramelized pork fat?--so pork rinds most closely resemble the white stripes in bacon than they taste like the pink stripes.

The texture is kinda weird. Reminiscent of those packing peanuts that I ate a few months ago. But these pork rinds are salty, and I feel like I need salt today.

Plus the calorie content seeeeeeems lower than that of traditional chips, so I get to feel superior to... myself... during potato chip eating sessions. Eating 0.5 ounces of pork rinds (or about 2/15ths of a bag) carries only 80 calories. Eating the whole bag could be daunting because these things really, really taste like greasy, salted, caramelized pork fat. But the whole bag only contains about 600 calories, so it's still lighter fare than a lot of junk food is.

Pork rinds!

No comments:

Post a Comment